Today is the first day back to school for some children, though college students are still on break. So Olivia, Isaac and I headed to the Amherst Family Center for some fun this morning. We went often earlier this fall and then life seemed to get busy and so we had not been in over a month. A wonderful woman named Erica runs the center and remembered us- I don't know how she remembers so many children! The family center is in the basement of a local church but is run by UMASS and other grants I believe. Its an open playroom center with a snack and story time and lots of toys. Basically a good place to connect with other parents- especially when its too cold to be outside much.
So as we were eating snack and chatting- Olivia asked Erica "Did you celebrate Jesus Birthday?"
Inside for a split second I wondered what I should say to explain or smooth things over. But without missing a beat, Erica said, "Yes I did." Followed by, "That was the first time a two year old has ever asked me that."
My heart soars a little bit that Olivia can and will share so openly and honestly We talked over Christmas about how we were celebrating Jesus' Birthday. (We also visited Santa at the mall:) And this reminds me about the time Olivia requested "Amazing Grace" during story time at the library and we sang it!
But this was quickly challenged by the reality of the culture we live in when Erica told Olivia that she also celebrates Winter Solstice. We asked her more about what it is and how its celebrated- a big bonfire at the Audubon center telling native american stories.
It is great to learn about new things, but also a good reminder to figure out how to help Olivia and Isaac know and love God as well as navigate other beliefs as well. I pray they will be shining lights to others for Jesus!
No comments:
Post a Comment